Our roots at The View Church begin in October of 1861. Four members (three men and one woman) founded our church as only the third church in Carbondale. By 1900, Carbondale was a quickly-growing area with over 80 trains per day coming through our railroad stations. For over 100 years, our church was located on Main Street (on property where the Carbondale Hospital presently exists.)
In 2009, the church was replanted at a new location on South Giant City Road to make room for new families, new growth and new vision. While we had previously been a Baptist congregation, we made a decision as a church family to move forward as an interdenominational community church, welcoming people from all over the denominational spectrum. You'll find Baptists, Methodists, Lutherans, Presbyterians, Anglicans, charismatics and all sorts of other backgrounds in our church family today.
In 2018, our congregation moved to our current location on South Lewis Lane in Carbondale. This location allows us to connect with our community in new ways (we have neighbors and a neighborhood!) and is more easily accessible to those we are called to love and serve.
The church that we were in 1861 is different in many ways from the church that we are today but we still hold to the same commitment to reaching Carbondale with the good news of the Gospel.